Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Travel Tuesday: Caerphilly Castle, Wales

I missed my Travel Tuesday post last week, so I thought I'd make up for it by sharing a few pictures from one of my favourite castles: Caerphilly Castle, which is in southern Wales.   I had the opportunity to visit Caerphilly a couple of years ago and was impressed by its size.   Given little restoration of the Castle has taken place, it was not hard to imagine the Castle in all its glory way back in the 13th and 14th centuries.    

Caerphilly Castle is the second largest castle in Great Britain (Windsor Castle is the largest).   Construction began during the 13th century by Gilbert de Clare, Lord of Glamorgan.    More information on this castle can be found at: http://www.castlewales.com/caerphil.html




Literary Link:

Caerphilly Castle is featured in Susan Higginbotham's novel The Traitor's Wife,  which is about Eleanor le Despenser, niece to Edward II and wife of Hugh le Despenser (the younger).