Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books That Were Totally Deceiving


I've missed the last several Top Ten Tuesdays, a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, but this week's topic is one I just couldn't pass up!

Top Ten Books that were Totally Deceiving
(Those books with covers or titles that don't fit the book, a book that was totally different than its summary, or those books you thought were going to be fluff that turned out to be more serious etc, etc. )


(1) Secrets of The Tudor Court: The Pleasure Palace by Kate Emerson.   I initially avoided this novel as the title gives the impression that the book is filled with lust and romance.   It's not.  As a result I was pleasantly surprised by the novel as it was not the fluff I was expecting.    







(2) Rivals in the Tudor Court by D.L. Bogdan.   The blurb on the back of my copy of this novel would lead one to believe that the novel's main characters are Elizabeth Stafford and Bess Holland.  In reality, the focal character is Thomas Howard - but you wouldn't know that based on the book's blurb.   I thought this novel to be a great read regardless.  In fact, I'm rather glad Thomas Howard was the focal point of the book. 






(3) Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel.   I LOVE this novel, but don't let the title fool you, very little of the book actually takes place at Wolf Hall.










(4) Virgin Widow by Anne O'Brien.  This was a good read but, based on the blurb on the back of my copy of the book, I expected the novel to go deep into the politics of the Wars of the Roses period.  It didn't.  Instead, history took a back seat to the love story between Anne Neville and the future Richard III.  







(5-7) The King Raven Trilogy by Stephen Lawhead (Hood, Scarlet and Tuck).   This trilogy is classified as historical fantasy.   It's historical, but I have no idea why it's considered fantasy as there are no fantastical elements in any of the three novels.   Great books, but if you're looking for books with actual fantasy in them I suggest looking elsewhere.




(8) The Passionate Brood: A Novel of Richard the Lionheart and the Man Who Would Become Robin Hood by Margaret Campbell Barnes.   Why the man who would become Robin Hood was included in the novel's subtitle is beyond me - he barely plays a role in the story.  








(9) The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler.   Despite the title, Jane Austen and her novels have very little to do with this book.   










(10) The Linguist and the Emperor: Napoleon and Champollion's Quest to Decipher the Rosetta Stone by Daniel Meyerson.  Overall, I found the information presented in this book to be interesting, but the subtitle is misleading as I thought very little of the book had to do with the Rosetta Stone. 







What books are on your list?