Sunday, July 21, 2013

Book Talk: Blogging Edition

It's time for Book Talk, a (sometimes) weekly feature designed to generate discussion on random book-related issues and topics.   Rather than host a specific topic this week, I thought I would focus the discussion on a couple of general blogging issues I've been thinking about lately. 

Blog Comments:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed the number of comments they receive on their blogs to have fallen off lately?  It seems that no matter what the topic, be it general discussion, a giveaway, or a review, comments have been few.   I recognize that bloggers have lives outside of the blogosphere, and that as it is the summer here in the northern hemisphere people are busier than usual (myself included), but I admit that I can't help but feel a little disappointed when my posts receive few (if any) comments.  Does anyone else feel this way?

I guess this also leads to the question, why do you or do you not leave comments on posts?  I generally leave comments on reviews for books I've read or want to read, and love participating in general book-related discussions.  However, I tend not to comment if a book or discussion topic is of little interest to me.  I also go through periods where I'm just too busy to visit other blogs and leave comments (as I'm quite sure many other bloggers do too), and I always feel bad about this, especially if other bloggers have stopped by to visit my posts. 

Review Rut:

So, I read this book a few months back that I enjoyed.  I received the book for review and want to share my thoughts on it with others.  The problem?  Other than noting that I enjoyed the novel I can't think of much else to say and, as a result, my review still isn't written.  Do you ever find yourself at a loss for words when it comes to reviewing novels?   How do you overcome this?  I think I'll end up writing a mini-review.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on one or both of these topics.  


post signature